Sunday, April 24, 2011

Is It 2011?


Holy One-Year-Later, Batgoof!

Blogging is stupid and weird. I like it. It means nothing almost 100% of the time. Nobody gives two shits what you write. Its a bunch of words tossed into a cosmic-scale sea of other bunches of words. But that isn't really important. The important part is just doing something creative.

I draw comics. I love drawing comics. I've been doing it since I was in 4th grade. I used to take a piece of paper and fold it in half to mimic a book, then I'd draw a story about Spider-Man or The Thing. If I remember correctly the thing that inspired me to do that was getting my hands on a bunch of DC "origin" stories published in the mini-comic size format. This was the early 80s. I wish I still had those comics. I had multiple copies of each of them. Superman, Batman, Aquaman, etc. I probably ended up destroying them or something. I have no idea.

Anyway, the point of doing this blog was to just do it. To push myself to work every day, focusing on just doing it. When you do that - when you work every day on something - eventually you'll look up and take a peek and be amazed that you DID something. And my problem has always been getting shit done.

I read back through the older posts here. Not many of them. I referred to my Dragon Hour...this was when I'd get up at 4 or 5 AM and draw for at least one hour. It was very successful for me. I produced a lot of Zyn Dweomer pages that way. More recently I've switched it to night time hours and it has continued to be a good thing for me. I get at least 1 to 2 hours of alone, quiet time a night to draw. But of course I'm human and I do not use the time with great efficiency. I goof off and procrastinate, like I always have. I am basically a walking bag of self-doubt so I find a release to that stress in doing something other than what I need to be doing.

And yet I'm still making comics and getting stuff done. Somehow. Some way. I've produced several hundred comic pages or strips in the past 3 years, which is saying a lot for me. My productivity has been on an upward trend or at least a steady state since some time around 2002. I'm not sure why. Perhaps the internet did it.

So right now I'm in the middle of putting together the first "issue" of Zyn Dweomer. After that, if I don't get back into doing new Zyn Dweomer pages, I'll probably start something new. I'm in the mood to create a big, fat, magical world and populate it with awesome.

We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment